CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Great Furniture Snafu

Daniel and I decided to get baby Rodda a lifetime convertible crib and furniture.  Our intention is that it would indeed last our daughter a "lifetime."  Afterall, our current master bedroom furniture is my childhood furniture.  (Yes, our child will have nicer furniture than us!  Spoiled already!)

We decided to take advantage of Labor Day sales.  Surely ordering two months in advance would guarantee a perfectly set up nursery by baby's arrival. 

There are two stores in town that carried the furniture we like.  The store we chose not only had a lower price, but the owner was an Alabama alum.  The store was decked out in Bama and other SEC gear.  Daniel had been wooed.  We were told the wait on the furniture would be 6 to 8 weeks, but it was "in stock."  I thought to myself, "Why would "in stock" furniture take so long to get here?  In stock where?  China?"

Three weeks from the due date was when the six week mark hit.  Nesting mama called the store every other day all week asking for an update.  No good answer was ever given to me.  Right before I made another annoyed call to the store, I opened a letter explaining that the store had gone out of business!  I had just called the day before, and no one had told me that.  The letter told us to open a dispute with our credit card company to get the money back.  Next we could contact another store to ensure a smooth delivery of our pre-ordered furniture.  This would have worked out well, but this second store did not have a relationship with the manufacturer of our furniture. 

At this point, mama's mad as a hornet!  This totally violated my nesting instinct.  I wanted every little thing set up prior to baby's arrival.  Yes, we still have a place for her to sleep, and I know she won't need a crib right away.  Afterall, she can't even see more than 12 inches from her face when she's a newborn.  Surely she'll never know!

I spent nearly an entire day on the phone with the manufacturer and another store in town that carries our furniture.  Finally, this store agreed to pick up our order and assured us the furniture would be delivered in 3 to 6 weeks.  For an upcharge, of course. 

I resolved myself to the fact that the nursery would not be set up in time for baby's arrival.  Daniel and I got the pack and play sheets together and set the changing pad on a card table.  We stuffed her closet with every little thing that was intended to be put in the dresser drawers.  We were now ready for her to come home.

Let me tell you how excited I was today when I received a call saying our furniture was in Atlanta!  Before baby's arrival and less than two weeks after the second order was placed.  The man at the store was very proud that they were able to get the furniture before the due date.  SO ARE WE!!!

Delivery is set up for Monday.  And for the first time in a week or two, I'm hoping our little girl stalls a few days.  Oh, how I'd love to stuff all of the drawers before she comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment