CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, May 13, 2011

6 months!


Six months is a big landmark!  Not only does it mean Hannah’s been on this side of the womb for ½ a year, but I’ve had to dust off the baby books and read about solid foods and research baby sign language.  Hannah shocked me at the doctor’s office today, sitting up on her own for a few seconds.  She hadn’t done that before!  I’m yearning for the day when I don’t have to lug that heavy car seat everywhere.  At 6 months she can also wear sunscreen and bug repellent and get doused in a chlorine pool, which comes at the perfect time!  And I’m going to cut her toe nails for the first time.  We probably should’ve cut them sooner, but we had to celebrate this “birthday” somehow.  (weird, huh?)

I think Hannah’s biggest developments this month have been in communication.  The whining and rubbing the eyes is the “I’m tired” cue.  She turns away when she’s done eating.  She’s generous with laughs and smiles when she’s happy and pouts when she’s not.  She has a very cute frustrated grunt and red face when she wants her hands or body to do something but can’t quite get it right.  She loves shaking rattles and holding on to toys.  Her hands have gotten more nimble.  She’s pulled leaves off my African violet and knocked over my glass of tea.  She pants when she gets excited.  She’ll move her mouth in a chewing motion and flick her tongue in and out of her mouth (signs she’s ready to eat, I think).

Hannah still loves to stand up and watch the world go by.  She is very alert and perceptive.  I’ve been told a few times by strangers that Hannah’s sweet smile made their day.  A grandmother at the Botanical Gardens in Chicago even had tears in her eyes interacting with Hannah.  Daddy calls Hannah his little day-brightener.  A trip to the grocery store is no longer an isolated experience.  I have to be prepared to stop the cart for at least ½ the people in the store to dote on her.  Most comment on her big blue eyes and dusting of red hair.  I end up having many conversations with strangers.  And this proud mama loves it J

Hannah has become a fabulous sleeper!  It’s probably been more than a month since she woke up in the middle of the night for the pacifier.  She’s still on her 12 hour a night routine.  And now she takes naps!!!  She’ll usually take a quick one in the morning and a lengthy one in the afternoon.  She’ll sleep for an hour around 1pm then wake up.  Usually I can get her to sleep for two more hour long shifts.  Sometimes I take one with her J  It doesn’t take much to get her down.  I’m so thankful!  She used to be my alarm clock in the morning, but now that I’m working, I try to get a shower before she awakes.  I turn on the video monitor (love it!) and around 7:30 witness her start baby aerobics.  She lifts those legs up and down and hovers them just above the surface.  She’ll do this for about ½ hour!  You’d think she’d have abs of steel, but thankfully has a little baby belly.  If I could do my ab workout subconsciously, I’d have a six pack!

Hannah’s still camping out in size 2 diapers and 6 to 9 month clothes.  In the past few weeks, I’ve felt her get heavier.  She got a glowing report at the doctor’s.  I praise God daily for her health and development.  Her measurements have remained consistent:
            14# 11 oz  (25th percentile)
            26 ½ inches (80th percentile)


OK, Daddy’s home.  Time to take a family trip to the grocery store and get some rice cereal!

6 month photos and video to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment